Saturday 12 January 2013

Living in the Real World

It is perhaps an exaggeration to say that the Internet saved my life. But back in the darkest days of my grief, I’m not so sure that it didn’t save my sanity.

Through the Internet I have made some wonderful friends. Some live just a few miles away, others I probably will never meet in person. And all stops in-between. The common feature is that they have all given totally non-judgmental support when I needed it.

It is also where Robert and I found one another. I think it came as a surprise to both of us that we did, or at least so quickly, but it would be rather churlish to complain about that!

And it is a constant feature in my work. For research, for moving files around, for working on servers half a country away. I fondly remember the days when assignments turned up in brown envelopes through the door and research necessitated a bus trip to Manchester Central Library. When deadlines were measured in weeks, not days. That sort of timescale would be unimaginable now.

Lately I have found myself drawing away from it though. My life seems more and more to be firmly rooted in the Real World. I am doing less paid work, and we are working more on house renovations. Not having animals in the field means we can lock the doors and simply leave home behind for a few days without having to organise people to dole out feed and water and put the poultry to bed at night.

Over Christmas I went on a complete Internet fast. Simply turned it off. Pulled the plug and hid my laptop out of sight for nearly a fortnight.

It was an unexpected pleasure. More time for reading, hand-sewing and knitting. More time to sit in front of the woodburner with a garden plan and seed catalogues in hand. More time to simply chat and laugh and plan and eat and share a bottle of wine. What could be better?

In all this cutting down, however, one thing I have really missed has been this blog, and having a place to record the passing of the days.

2012 was an incredible year for me.
Not just getting married. But relearning how to be truly happy. How to share my life again.

There were difficult parts too. Robert had to go into hospital for a small surgery under general anaesthetic. I was almost paralysed with terror. Hospital for me was still a place where people go to die, not to get better. It is an irrational fear, I know, and on this occasion was unfounded, I am happy to report.

There has also been some bad, bad stuff with his ex. It is still ongoing, but there is an end in sight now, and working through it all has been very good for us as a couple.

And I lost my precious friend Moose in the Autumn.
His back legs had become very wobbly, but he was happy pottering around at home. He still enjoyed his food and barking at the postman. Then one day he had a sort-of-stroke. It left him with severe vertigo and he was unable to stand up. All he could do was look at me with such confusion in his eyes. It was heart-breaking to see, and the time had come to say goodbye.
I still miss him every day that passes.


But mostly the year has been fast-moving and fun, full of passion and movement and change. I regret not having recorded it all on these pages. So the beginning of a new year seems like a good time to kick-start this blog again. I seem to remember writing something very similar at this time last year, but perhaps I may be able to make more time for it in 2013.

5 comments:

  1. J it's wonderful to see you here again, I hope to see you at DTE as well. Changes, eh, but mostly good changes. I am sorry about Moose, I know what he was to you and you to him. It amazes me how older animals know when it's "OK" for them to go -- Moose knew you'd be OK without him, when Mum moved in ten years ago her old cat Radar went about two months after she moved in. Love to you J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is so good to hear from you again. i am also so very sorry to learn that Moose has passed. i still have the photos of him with Ambassador Bunny. i hope to read more of your life and the changes that have occurred. happiness is so rare and precious. glad you have it now. take care and don't forget Bunny/me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello sweetheart. How nice to hear from you.

    I remember in the Before, being so in Life that the internet was just not interesting. I had even stopped writing in a journal, something I had done for decades. I miss that - the being consumed with life rather than the discussion of life. And, as you said - the connections on-line are what have carried me and given me company.

    God-speed to good Moose, and good comfort to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rose: It is lovely to hear from you to, and I will pop in to DTE soon too. Yeah, I know what you mean about animals knowing when it is time to go - it is as though he waited until I had someone else to look after me before he left.

    @Abandonedsouls: I love that picture of Moose and Bunny too. It's funny, you were in my thoughts yesterday. I walked past a Build-A-Bear shop in Chester - I had never seen one in this country before, and my thoughts went immediately to you. xxx

    @Megan: Thank you for stopping by too.
    "The past is another country. They do things differently there."
    I have spent a lot of time trying to compare the Before and the Now, and have finally come to the conclusion that it is not possible. They both just Are. Which is a very unsatisfactory result for one who likes to tie up loose ends, dot Is and cross Ts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. J - I am so so sorry to hear about Moose xxx

    ReplyDelete